Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board

#1 - Ask us a question or tell us what you want to do

#2 - Then click

Ask us a question Close

Your Library is your private area on this web site that lets you collect pages and documents for your reference. To view your Library and add new content to it, you need to be logged in.

If you've already set up your Library, click here:
Log In Now
If you need to set up your Library, click here:
Set up your library Now

Want to know more? Learn about your Library

Add this page to your library Close

Did you find this page helpful?

Did this page present the information you expected?

Please tell us a little bit more about what you think:

Tell us how we can improve this page Close

I’m working with hazardous materials, what should I do?

People work with hazardous materials all the time. The trick is making sure you have proper training in their care and handling.

Your employer is responsible for making sure you have training in the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).

This international standard that's used across Canada tells you what hazardous materials you might be exposed to and how to work with these things safely.

The hazardous materials information system is based on your legal right to know what you’re dealing with in the workplace.

To do this, it uses:

Your employer-initiated education must make sure that, before you handle any hazardous product:

  • you recognize and understand all labels attached to the product;
  • you know where to get the relevant SDS and understand the information on them;
  • you can identify, handle, store and safely work with the controlled products you might be exposed to.

After that training, you are responsible for following the handling rules and ensuring you are working with them safely.