Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board

#1 - Ask us a question or tell us what you want to do

#2 - Then click

Ask us a question Close

Your Library is your private area on this web site that lets you collect pages and documents for your reference. To view your Library and add new content to it, you need to be logged in.

If you've already set up your Library, click here:
Log In Now
If you need to set up your Library, click here:
Set up your library Now

Want to know more? Learn about your Library

Add this page to your library Close

Did you find this page helpful?

Did this page present the information you expected?

Please tell us a little bit more about what you think:

Tell us how we can improve this page Close

See also...

I'm not a worker?

Am I a worker?

In the Yukon, you probably are.

But it is important to find out because only workers are entitled to receive compensation benefits in the event of a workplace injury.

So, let’s figure out if you are, indeed, a worker.

In the Yukon, a worker:

  • performs services for an employer under contract, either express or implied. There is a master/servant relationship between the worker and employer;
  • Does mine-rescue work after a catastrophe, if authorized by the person in charge of the mine or of the authorized mine-rescue crew;
  • is a learner;
  • is an apprentice in a recognized program;
  • is a director of a corporation in the Yukon. A director may apply to be deemed not a worker;
  • is an Member of the Legislative Assembly;
  • is someone deemed by the board or regulation to be a worker;
  • is a member of a fire brigade or volunteer ambulance brigade;
  • is summoned to put out fires by someone in authority over the situation;
  • assists in search-and-rescue operations at the request and under the direction of a peace officer;
  • assists during an emergency declared by the mayor of a Yukon municipality or by the Commissioner in Executive Council;
  • is a member of an auxiliary police force;
  • is serving a term of imprisonment who is performing work or community service for the Yukon Government;
  • is on probation for an offence and performing work or community service for the Yukon Government;
  • is a Yukon College student receiving workplace training through an allowance provided by the Yukon Government;
  • Yukon students engaged in workplace training, provided they are not attending a private school;
  • volunteers who provide service with the consent of the Yukon Government; or
  • is receiving disability insurance or Employment Insurance benefits in respect of unemployment caused by illness or Social Assistance Act assistance or services under the Rehabilitation Services Act and who are receiving workplace training under the direction of the Yukon Government.

If you have any questions or want further clarification, we’re happy to help.

Contact us:

Phone: (867) 667-5645
Toll-free across Canada: (800) 661-0443
Fax: (867) 393-6279
401 Strickland Street
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 5N8

(We are open Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)