Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board

#1 - Ask us a question or tell us what you want to do

#2 - Then click

Ask us a question Close

Your Library is your private area on this web site that lets you collect pages and documents for your reference. To view your Library and add new content to it, you need to be logged in.

If you've already set up your Library, click here:
Log In Now
If you need to set up your Library, click here:
Set up your library Now

Want to know more? Learn about your Library

Add this page to your library Close

Did you find this page helpful?

Did this page present the information you expected?

Please tell us a little bit more about what you think:

Tell us how we can improve this page Close

Can I appeal an assessment decision?

Absolutely, if you are an employer.

Employers may appeal any written decision on their assessment account that pertains to:

  • classification;

  • rate of assessment;

  • audit results;

  • collection activities;

  • non-payment of penalties; or

  • non-reporting of penalties.

Before appealing, please contact the staff member who made the decision or the Director of Assessments to ask why the decision was made. This is often the simplest way to resolve any misunderstandings or communications problems that led to the dispute.

Talking may eliminate the formal review or appeal.

You have 180 days from the date on the assessment decision to appeal to the Board of Directors.

You must appeal in writing to the Board of Directors. A reasonable substitute is acceptable if you cannot read or write.

You can obtain a Notice of Appeal of an Assessment decision form here.

Please complete the entire form and attach the information requested to avoid delaying the process.

You may mail or deliver the form to:

Board Manager
Workers' Compensation, Health and Safety Board
401 Strickland Street
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 5N8

After the appeal is accepted, the board will convene an Appeal Panel.

After reviewing the evidence, the panel will make a decision. That decision is final and conclusive and not open to question or review in any court.

However, if you believe the panel erred in law or jurisdiction you may appeal to the Supreme Court.

If you have any questions, we’re happy to answer them.

Contact us here:

Phone: (867) 667-5645
Toll-free across Canada: (800) 661-0443
Fax: (867) 393-6279
401 Strickland Street
Whitehorse, Yukon
Y1A 5N8
(We are open Monday to Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.)